Remley’s harness shop an early, active business | News

[ad_1]

The Quincy Daily Herald of Jan. 19, 1916, carried a notice of the 10th annual meeting of the Tri-State Master Harness Makers Association, which was under way at the Hotel Quincy. J.W. Remley, who operated a harness shop at 221 N. Main St., Hannibal, served as president of the association, and gave the opening address.

On the same page the newspaper was a notice titled: “Motor Funeral Thursday Morning.” Joseph J. Freiburg, Quincy funeral director, was using his new automobile hearse for the first time, for the funeral and burial of the late Theodore Siebers. The newspaper noted that this was the first time an automobile hearse was to be used in Quincy, replacing the standard horse-drawn hearse.

Gasoline engines

Early days

Business locations

Vocalist

Deaths

Disposition of stock

Mary Lou Montgomery retired as editor of the Hannibal (Mo.) Courier-Post in 2014. She researches and writes narrative-style stories about the people who served as building blocks for this region’s foundation. Books available on Amazon.com by this author include but are not limited to: “The Notorious Madam Shaw,” “Pioneers in Medicine from Northeast Missouri,” “The Historic Murphy House, Hannibal, Mo., Circa 1870,” “Hannibal’s ‘West End,’ and the newest book, “Oakwood: West of Hannibal.” Montgomery can be reached at Montgomery.editor@yahoo.com Her collective works can be found at www.maryloumontgomery.com

[ad_2]

Source link

Loading

52 thoughts on “Remley’s harness shop an early, active business | News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *