A number of area businesses are offering free products and services to veterans on Veterans Day, Saturday, Nov. 11.
Sheetz offers meal, car wash
Veterans and active duty military personnel will receive a free meal and car wash at Sheetz locations. All Sheetz locations will offer a free half turkey sub and regular size fountain drink to all who show a military ID or proof of service.
Sheetz locations that have a car wash will also be offering a free $9 car wash to veterans and active duty personnel. Military ID or proof of service must be presented.
Sheetz is also giving a $50,000 donation to the United States Organization, and Sheetz employees will be volunteering at a Thanksgiving dinner event at the USO later this month. Sheetz customers can donate their loyalty points in November to the USO.
McDonald’s offers meal
Veterans and active duty military can visit any participating McDonald’s restaurant to enjoy either a free breakfast, lunch or dinner meal.
The free breakfast is a Sausage McMuffin with Egg Meal, which comes with a small soft drink, tea or hot coffee and a hash brown. The free lunch or dinner option includes a 10-piece Chicken McNugget Meal, which comes with a small size soft drink, tea or hot coffee, and a small order of fries.
Proper identification is required. Guests should bring a military ID card, DD-214 form, Veterans Organization card or a photograph of themselves in uniform.
Veterans Day events
– The Blair County War Veterans Council Veterans Day parade will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, in downtown Altoona. A service will follow at the Veteran’s Mall, 11th Avenue and 14th Street.
– A wreath dedication ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. Nov. 11 at the Veterans Memorial at Legion Memorial Park, Hollidaysburg. The event will be followed by a wreath dedication ceremony at Patriot Park at Matterns Orchard, Penn Farms.
– Veterans are asked to assemble at the Veterans Memorial located at the Patton Recreational Park by 10:45 a.m. Nov. 11 for 11 a.m. services conducted by the Walter McCoy American Legion Post 614 and John White VFW 799. After the service at the park, veterans will conduct a service in front of the VFW Post and then proceed to the American Legion Post, where a similar service will be held. Lunch will be served at the Legion for all participating veterans.
– Veterans Day services will be held at the Carrolltown American Legion Park at 10 a.m. Nov. 11, followed by services at the Bakerton/Elmora Memorial at 10:15 a.m.; St. Benedict Memorial: at 10:30 a.m.; Spangler Wall at 10:45 a.m; Barnesboro Memorial at 11 a.m.; Garmantown Memorial at 11:15 a.m. and Emeigh Memorial at 11:30 a.m.
– The Bedford County Veterans Association Veterans Day ceremony, hosted by the VFW Post 4129 of Saxton, will feature guest speaker Alan Smith, mayor of Saxton. The event will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at the Saxton Fire Hall.
– The Conemaugh Valley Veterans Day Parade will be held at 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, on Main Street, Johnstown.
– Veterans and their family members will be admitted free of charge to the PA Military Museum, 51 Boal Ave., Boalsburg, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11.